Four years ago, Evangel partnered with Next Level International to launch a church in Krasny Mak, Ukraine. It has been a unique journey for us as a community, coming along side Maxim and Jenya Babenko to see this dream come to reality. To date we have sent teams each year, and have financially supported the church on a monthly basis. We look forward to an ongoing relationship with this church plant, and moving into other similar ventures in the future.
You're interested in becoming a member of Evangel Chapel? Let me tell you little about the process of membership and why we do it! In taking the step of becoming an official member of Evangel, you're making a pretty bold statement that this is your church home, and that you are partnering with this house to pursue the plan and destiny of God for the Chapel and most importantly, the city of Fort St. John. And that's incredibely exciting!
Here are some basic reasons that we incorporate church membership into our community life.
1. Church membership produces a sense of loyalty responsibility, and unity, which results in more effective ministry. It invites a higher level of accountability, and really let's our leadership team know whose part of the family.
2. As a registered society, we have an official organization and structure, which also entails annual reports (financial, etc.) and accountability. Membership is a requirement for the society when it comes to voting and key leadership roles.
3. Church membership is practical and proven efficient for handling church business. It helps us operate “decently and in order.”
4. Membership is a protective measure for establishing and maintaining our unique identity as a community, along with our beliefs, vision, and structure.
Membership is by definition stewardship; implying that one who becomes a member accepts responsibility to be an active participant in the life of the church, committing themselves personally to see the house prosper and grow.
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER?
The membership packet you receive when you apply for membership is basically three fold.
1. The basic Membership Application form contains some simple questions about your spiritual background and areas or ways you would like to get involved in Evangel Chapel. This helps us get to know you. Some of the questions are designed to help us discover if Evangel is a good fit for you.
2. You'll also receive the Membership Covenant, which summarizes through Scripture the kind of commitment members of Evangel Chapel make to one another. There's a place to sign in blood at the end of that form (joking...just use ink).
3. Once you've returned these two forms to our church office, our Church Leadership team recieves the applications, reviews them, and formally approves your application.
Membership and Ministry Application
Name: ______________________________________ Birth date: __________________
Phone: __________________________ Email Address: _________________________
Marital Status: ___________________ Spouses Name: _________________________
Names of Children: _______________________________________________________
I am applying for church membership. Yes No
1. How long have you known Christ as your personal Savior? ________________
2. Have you been baptized in water? Yes No
3. Have you been filled with the Holy Spirit according to Acts 2:4? Yes No
4. How long have you been steadily attending Evangel Chapel? ________________
If less than two years, where did you attend previously? ____________________
5. Which areas do you see yourself being involved in our church?
Hosting / Hospitality Children’s Ministry Technical/Media
Music Ministry Youth Ministry Prayer Ministry
Through my trade Organizational Work
Teaching Small Group Host
Small Group Leader Other _____________________________
6. Which spiritual gifts do you feel are operational in your life?
Prophecy Serving Others Teaching Encouragement
Giving Leadership Showing Kindness Wisdom
Discernment Special Faith Healing Evangelism
7. Describe your ideal Sunday worship service: (use space on back for 7 & 8)
8. Describe your ideal of how Evangel Chapel should relate to city of FSJ:
10. Are you in agreement with Evangel’s Statement of Beliefs, Ministry Strategy, and Structure. Yes No
If No, explain on reverse.
References may be requested.
Membership and Ministry Covenant
“Having received Christ as my Lord and Savior and been baptized, and being in agreement with Evangel’s statement of beliefs, strategy and structure, I now feel led by the Holy Spirit to unite with the Evangel’s church family. In doing so, I commit myself to God and to the other members to do the following:
I. I will protect the unity of my church
...By acting in love toward other members
...By refusing to gossip
...By following the leaders
“So let us concentrate on the things which make for harmony and on the growth of our fellowship together.” Rom. 15:19 (Ph)
“Live in complete harmony with each other — each with the attitude of Christ toward each other.” Rom 15:5 (LB)
“Have a sincere love for your fellow believers; love one another earnestly with all your hearts.” 1 Peter 1:22 (GN)
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of our mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs...” Eph. 4:29
“Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be no advantage to you.” Heb. 13:17
II. I will share the responsibility of my church
...By praying for its growth
...By inviting the pre-Christians to attend
...By warmly welcoming those who visit
“To the church...we always thank God for you and pray for you constantly.” 1 Thess. 1:2
“Go out into the country...and urge anyone you find to come in, so that My House will be full.” Luke 14:23 (LB)
“So, warmly welcome each other into the church, just as Christ has warmly welcomed you; then God will be glorified.” Rom. 15:7 (LB)
III. I will serve the ministry of my church
...By discovering my gifts and talents
...By being equipped to serve by my pastors
...By developing a servant’s heart
“Serve one another with the particular gifts God has given each of you...” 1 Peter 4:10 (Ph)
“God gave...some to be pastors and teachers to prepare God’s people for works of ministry, so that the body of Christ may be built up...” Eph. 4:11-12
“Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Jesus Christ...who took on the very nature of a servant...” Phil 2:3-4, 7
IV. I will support the testimony of my church
...By attending faithfully
...By living a godly life
...By giving regularly my tithes & offerings
“Let us not give up the habit of meeting together...but let us encourage one another.” Heb. 10:25
“But whatever happens, make sure that your everyday life is worthy of the gospel of Christ.” Phil. 1:27 (Ph)
“Each one of you, on the first day of each week, should set aside a specific sum of money in proportion to what you have earned and use it for the offering.” 1 Cor. 16:2
“A tenth of all you produce is the Lord’s, and it is holy.” Lev. 27:30
Name: ______________________________________ Date: ________________________
(sign your name)
(print your name)
Memory verse: Romans 12:2, “don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.”
Lesson: If we are transformed by God we do his Work. I talked about Transformers 3, the part where Bumble-Bee transforms when the main Character, Sam, is inside him. Bumble-Bee transforms to avoid a accident and Sam is left flying helplessly through the air. It seemed crazy, but it was a transformation that saved Sam’s life. Sometimes letting God transform us seems crazy, but really it saves our lives as we come to understand what God wants.
We learn how to be tranformed through God's word!
I was away this Sunday, but some awesome leaders in KidCity made sure the Kids had a lot of fun without me. The memory verse was Psalms 119:103, “How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey.” The children were given Alphabits and had to spell out the verse in their platoons. I heard so much fun things about this Sunday and the memory verse really stuck with them.
Thanks to Chase Koop, Levi Warriner, Joe Nobel, and Jordyn Warriner for serving in KidCity.
When: March 24-30
What: a 30 person team from Evangel building three homes in Mexico in partnership with our church down there! Very exciting!
Team Leaders: Derek and Julie Waldon, who will be hosting a booth at Mission Vision this weekend. Stop by and say hi!!
We have raised almost $11,000 to date for the home builds! This covers all the basics for the houses (building materials). We'd like to see another $4k come in over the next few weeks for furnishings and little extras like cupboards full of food. You can give right here on the website, or anytime at Evangel.
This Sunday at 12:30pm we'll be hosting a fund-raising dinner - Taco's in a Bag! Going to be an awesome time of hanging out and supporting the trip. Hope to see you then!