Memory verse: Romans 12:2, “don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.”
Lesson: If we are transformed by God we do his Work. I talked about Transformers 3, the part where Bumble-Bee transforms when the main Character, Sam, is inside him. Bumble-Bee transforms to avoid a accident and Sam is left flying helplessly through the air. It seemed crazy, but it was a transformation that saved Sam’s life. Sometimes letting God transform us seems crazy, but really it saves our lives as we come to understand what God wants.
We learn how to be tranformed through God's word!
I was away this Sunday, but some awesome leaders in KidCity made sure the Kids had a lot of fun without me. The memory verse was Psalms 119:103, “How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey.” The children were given Alphabits and had to spell out the verse in their platoons. I heard so much fun things about this Sunday and the memory verse really stuck with them.
Thanks to Chase Koop, Levi Warriner, Joe Nobel, and Jordyn Warriner for serving in KidCity.
We reviewed what we have been learning about the Bible the past few weeks.
- Psalms 119:105 and 2 Timothy 3:16
- The order of the books of the Bible
Please help your children learn these verses so that they will be inspired to learn more about God.
At one point I made reference to a verse that we are going to memorize in the future, Psalms 119:103, “How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey.” We explained that learning is not always easy or fun, sometimes it takes work, but you should desire it like you desire candy!
January 27, 2013
We went in depth into our memory verses 2 timothy 3:16 and Psalms 119:105.
First we presented Psalms 119:105, “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” We Shut off all the lights and asked the kids to look up Psalms 119:105, some of them succeeded, but the point was without light we won’t know where we are going.
We furthered this idea in 2 timothy 3:16, “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.” Without the scripture we don’t really know what is right or wrong. We blindfolded a leader and gave him a choice between A or B, A was an apple and B was an onion. He had to try both and it was very entertaining. Chase Koop explained how we need the scripture to guide us in our life. Without the bible we will not have enough light to know what is right and what is wrong.
We also did two new songs: ”I’m in the Lord’s Army” and “Two commandments”
We played an exciting game of tag, it was called “Lamppost” you started off kneeling on the floor tucked in as small as you could get. All the kids were unlit candles, until the lamppost came and touched them, and then they became lit wicks and were able to run around and sing “this little light of mine.” If they were tag then they had to go back down to unlit wicks. It was chaotic, but the kids loved it.
I am praying that your children will grab hold of the word of God with a passion and a desire to know God more.
January 20, 2013
KidCity was happy to welcome Corwyn Unrau, Joel, and Gigi Yuen to share about their experience of smuggling Bibles into China.
Our focus memory verse was Psalms 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." This Sunday inspired us to realize the importance of sharing the word of God which is a light to all.
- Gigi shared stories of her experience smuggling Bibles
- Joel shared about the Chinese letter characteristics and how they reflect the Bible
- Corwyn shared about his Bible smuggling experience and about a missionary in China, Bill Carruthers at Global Teaching School International
Thank so much Corwyn Unrau, Joel, and Gigi Yuen
January 13, 2013 was a Platoon day,
Platoons are the hands on centre to Boot Camp. This is where your child/children will learn to work as a team to build biblical knowledge and spiritual wisdom (proverbs 24:3-4). The Platoons look very much like a normal Sunday school class. These Platoon days will be occurring about once every third Sunday. With that, there will be platoon activities frequently.
January 13, 2013
- Check out this link to find a fun song that will help your children remember the books of the Bible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMvFdeo-F0
3) MARCHING PRACTICED
- Ask your children to show you!
4) GROUP GAME
- This was a traditional Duck, Duck, Goose game, however it was tweaked to get the kids familiar with the books of the Bible. It went like this: Soldier, Soldier, a book of the Bible. This game was fun interactive and exciting!
5) OLD TESTAMENT CRAFT AND GAME
- Children made two paper cubes or dice. Each side of the dice was marked with a section of the OT. They colored each dice before they assembled them.
- Section title are as follows first 5 books Law, 12 books of History, 5 books of Wisdom, 5 books of Major Prophets, and 12 books of Minor Prophets.
- One dice displayed both the section title and the books of that section, the other only the section title.
- After the craft was complete they could now play the Bible Cube Challenge.
Bible Cube Challenge:
Players would roll the dice that had only the sections written on each side. Players would have to say the bible section that the dice landed on. Example: if the dice landed on Law the opposing player would responded with the names of the first five books of the Bible. If the player did not know them they could look at their cube.
And that’s the Bible Cube Challenge
In the Platoon's, children worked on their memory verse 2 Timothy 3:16, Ephesians 6:13-18, craft, and the books of the Bible.
Please use the following resources to help your children develop their understanding of the Bible. Also, encourage your children to bring their Bible and wear their Boot Camp T-Shirt on Sunday.
Starting on January 6, 2013, KidCity Bootcamp will be learning how to use their field manual. In this season we will be learning the books of the bible, the important of knowing scripture, and the importance of desiring to know more of the word of God. Children will also learn practical study methods that they can try at home.
January 6, 2013
- Introduction to the curriculum
- Learnt a story about how to remember the New Testament. Check out the story so that you can help your kids learn the books of the bible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmifDA1ak0
- Memory Verse 2 Timothy 3:16